SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services
Design, develop, and deploy effective analytical solution that are both scalable and secure using SQL Server 2012 Analytics Services (SSAS).
Duration: 32 hours
- Describe the process of building a business intelligence solution and identify where and how SSAS fits into the process.
- Create effective SSAS solutions complete with calculations, actions, aggregations, and more.
- Design SSAS solutions that are both scalable and secure.
- Successfully manage and deploy SSAS solutions in a development/test/production environment.
To accomplish that, BISM tabular and multidimensional models will be covered across the whole course.
”Thank you very much, Dr. Tabladillo! It was a pleasure to participate in your workshop!”
WHEN and WHERE is this course running?
What does this course cover?
During the Analysis Services course, you will learn to design, develop, and deploy an analytical solution using SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS). This course demonstrates design and development best practices as you build a fully working analytical solution.
SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS) enables IT Professionals to rapidly build and deploy powerful analytical solutions that enable business users to analyze business data and achieve competitive advantage. SSAS enables rapid application development, increases performance and functionality, and reduces the costs and complexity of operation. The Analysis Services course focuses on teaching IT professionals the skills and best practices required to design and develop a well performing and successful analytical solution using SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services.
Who is this course designed for?
- IT Professionals responsible for designing, developing, and deploying business intelligence solutions
- Database warehouse, decision support, and business intelligence solution architects
- IT professionals, and business intelligence developers who want to learn the details of how to use the new capabilities provided by SSAS to build analytical applications.
Pre-requisites: What do you need to know?
- Basic experience with data warehouse solutions
- A basic understanding of relational design and theory is helpful, as is basic familiarity with Structured Query Language (SQL).
- No prior experience with any version of SQL Server Analysis Services is required
All our courses can be offered as a private delivery and tailored for your team's specific needs
SECTION A: BI SOLUTIONS OVERVIEW
Module 00: Housekeeping
- Introductions, course hours, and facilities information
Module 01: Introduction to BI Applications
- The process of creating a BI application
- The components of a BI application
- Extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes
- Relational data warehouse (RDW)
- Business Intelligence Semantic Model (BISM) solutions, such as cubes and tabular solutions
- Delivery and maintenance processes
Module 02: Dimensional Modeling
- Terminology review
- Basic concepts
- Dimension tables
- Fact tables
- Star and snowflake schemas
- Other considerations
SECTION B: SSAS CORE DESIGN ELEMENTS
Module 03: Creating a BISM End-to-End: Understanding the Process
- SQL Server Data Tools for BI development
- The SSAS development process
- Define data sources
- Develop the model (multidimensional vs. tabular)
- Deployment and processing
Module 04: Multidimensional Model: Creating Dimensions and Cubes
- Data source views
Lab 04 A: Working with Data Source Views
- Extended dimensionsLab 04 C: Extending Dimensions
Lab 04 B: Working with Dimensions
- Building cubes
- Relationships between measure groups and dimensionsLab 04 E: Working with Measure Groups and Dimensions
Lab 04 D: Building Cubes
Module 05: Multidimensional Model: Advanced Features
- Calculated members
- Named sets
- Scoped assignments
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Lab 05 A: Calculations and KPIs
Lab 05 B: Actions and Perspectives
Lab 05 C: Translations
Module 06: Tabular Model: Building Models
- Calculated columns
- Calculated measures
Lab 06: Getting Started with SSAS Tabular Models
Module 07: Tabular Model: Advanced Features
- DAX and calculated members
- Key Performance Indicators
- Reporting properties for enhanced end-user experience
Lab 07 A: Hierarchies, Calculations and KPIs
Lab 07 B: Perspectives and Visualization Options
Section C: Completing the SSAS solution to be properly managed
Module 08: Storage Modes, Aggregation Designs, and Proactive Caching
- Storage modes
- Storage modes for the multidimensional model
- Storage modes for the tabular model
- Aggregation designs
- Proactive caching
Lab 08 A: Aggregations and Partitions
Lab 08 B: Partitions in the Tabular Model
Module 9: Security
- SSAS security architecture
- Defining administrative access roles
- Defining user access roles
- Sections specific to the multidimensional model
- Custom security
Lab 09 A: Security in Multidimensional Models
Lab 09 B: Security in Tabular Models
Module 10: Scalability and Performance
- Optimizing many-to-many dimensions
- Server properties
- Tools for monitoring performance
- Formula engine (FE) vs storage engine (SE)
- Reading queries in SQL Server Profiler
Lab 10: Query Troubleshooting
Module 11: Basic Maintenance and administration
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Backup and restore
Lab 11 A: Backing Up, Restoring, and Deploying SSAS Databases (Multidimensional Model)
Lab 11 B: Deploying SSAS Databases (Tabular Model)
WHEN and WHERE is this course running next?
This course may be scheduled in more than one region. Please check availability in your country.