Data Governance: Develop, Monitor & Manage a Power BI ecosystem.
Each day, more and more organizations are using Power BI to help them to adopt a data-driven culture where every person can get value from data. This is achieved by business users that will make decisions and will take action based on the insights they find in reports and dashboards built by their own or shared with them. Organizations must be able to govern this scenario of self-service BI effectively being at the same time compliant with regulations, like GDPR, and their own security requirements.
To take care of the increasing security, governance, and regulatory requirements, we need IT and non-IT people that should have visibility into every aspect of their BI environments.
Course Delivery Options
The course will take place in a classroom with no more than 15 students in order to maintain a good level of interactivity.
Before attending this course, it is recommended that students have the following skills:
- Basic knowledge for developing reports in Power BI Desktop.
- Basic knowledge of data analytics projects.
- For IT admin modules, some basic programming concepts or scripting knowledge are recommended.
Content targets Power BI concepts in the context of data governance with a Business Intelligence (BI) solution.
After this Course
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the whole Power BI ecosystem
- Understand the concepts and importance of data governance in the life cycle of BI.
- How to manage, from a data governance perspective, the Power BI ecosystem.
Paco, a Microsoft Data Platform MVP and SolidQ North America Managing Director, is the PASS Big Data Virtual Chapter Leader, SQL Saturday Barcelona Organizer and assistant at the PASS Atlanta BI User Group. He is finishing his PhD thesis about “Analyzing Social Data with Machine Learning.” He is an MCT and MCP on BizTalk Server and SQL Server. He is coauthor of Microsoft Training Kit 441.
Paco is a frequent speaker at large and small conferences. SQL Saturdays, TechEd’s, PASS BA, PASS Summit, DevWeek London, and PAW Chicago and London.Paco, a Microsoft Data Platform MVP and SolidQ North America Managing Director, is the PASS Big Data Virtual Chapter Leader, SQL Saturday Barcelona Organizer and assistant at the PASS Atlanta BI User Group. He is finishing his PhD thesis about “Analyzing Social Data with Machine Learning.” He is an MCT and MCP on BizTalk Server and SQL Server. He is coauthor of Microsoft Training Kit 441.
Paco is a frequent speaker at large and small conferences. SQL Saturdays, TechEd’s, PASS BA, PASS Summit, DevWeek London, and PAW Chicago and London.
Víctor M. García Sánchez
Besides, trying to share knowledge to community through SolidQ and personal blog, collaborating with TechNet performing webcast and speaking in events.
Rushabh leads software development, application development, product management, and customer enablement. With an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for finding new ways to solve complex business challenges, he has deep empathy for customers and end users which guides his advocacy and influence over product direction. Rushabh strives to create an environment of high energy and creativity. He has been providing Business Intelligence, SQL Server and Information Services architecture solutions, training and mentoring services to enterprise customers since 1998.
Brett is Principal Architect, Managing Consultant and Mentor for multiple high visibility projects delivering a holistic view of critical business information and processes covering a variety of vertical markets.
Brett is also Chapter Leader for the Triangle SQL Server User Group (TriPASS) and a published author of numerous articles and books
Module 1. Architecture Scenarios
Module 2. Introduction to Governance
- What is data governance?
- Why data governance?
- Power BI governance overview.
- Demo roles
- Power BI governance tasks overview
Module 3. Managing licenses
- Managing licenses
- Power BI embedded
- Power BI premium
- Report server
- Lab01: Managing licenses
Module 4. Manage Global Access
- Blocking users
- Disable globally Power BI Service
- Azure AD Conditional Access
- Demo: Block sign-in, disable viral sign-up and disabling Power BI Service
- Guests users access
- Lab02: Managing global access, guests users.
Module 5. Managing Access to Service and Reports.
- Bring your own key (BYOK) Preview for Power BI Premium
- Workplaces & Apps
- Gateway governance
- Row Level Security (RLS)
- Demos: Use of My Workspace and sharing
- Demos: Create a Workspace and give access to groups and people
- Demos: Create an App, configure settings and give access to groups and people
- Demos: Certify a dataset and connect to it to develop new reports
- Lab03: Workspaces & Apps with Static and Dynamic RLS
Module 6: Managing tenant settings in admin portal
- Managing tenant settings in admin portal
- Managing capacity settings
- Demo tenant settings
- Lab04: Managing tenant settings and service features
Module 7. Monitoring
- Usage metrics
- Audit logs
- Power BI service health
- Managing Premium QoS
- Demo monitoring
- Lab05: Usage metrics and Monitoring 45`
Module 8. Automating Power BI Admin
- Introduction to automating admin
- Cmdlets for Windows PowerShell
- Power BI API Rest
- Combining Cmdlets with API Rest
- Lab06: Automating monitoring audit log
Module 9. Working with CMDLET and Power BI API, The real massive scenarios
- Real scenarios
- Lab07: CMDLET and Power BI API
Do you want more info about these courses?